Thursday, July 12, 2007

Busy Days... Happy Days


Well, the last couple weeks have been super busy again with family, new designs and starting my professional career again after being a stay-at-home mom for the last seven months. Being a stay-at-home mom is great. I recommend every mother trying it, even if for a short time like I did. After setting career and life goal, and then accomplishing them years ahead of schedule, I knew I wanted to do more with my life than just work for "THE MAN". Late last year, I got tried of the company I was working for. The people were great, but management was the worst - I too was management, but the youngest at 26 with visions (attainable). I was constantly spinning my wheels and talking to block walls.

But that is not the main reason for leaving. Financially, my husband and I were able to live one income. Sure that prevented us getting a new car and buying a bigger house - a slight delay in getting those things. But I felt it was important to know our son who was about to me 3 and wasn't potty trained yet. My mission was to be like my mother and mother-in-law (I know, no woman want to be like their mother or mother in law, but hear me out). Both our mothers were stay at home moms. And even though when I was in high school, college and even post college, I looked down on "house wives", after having my son and working more hours than being with my family, it was important to BE a family and not just a paycheck. So after 7 fun months at home, I am ready to go back to work and them my husband will get a shot at being "MR MOM". I think he will do great. He is a great father and the bonding between father and son will be great for the 2 of them.

So anyway, like I said... I landed my dream job. The good thing about looking for a job when you are not in a rush to find a job, like in my situation where we can afford to have me home, I was able to be more selective in the kind of jobs I applied to, responded back to after phone interviews or even go on interviews with. After leaving my last job and reading tons of Working Mother magazines, I had a pretty good idea of the type of company I wanted to work for. I feel so blessed.

Once I am there for a few months, my husband will take over the reigns at home. Of course he gets the easy job now that Aidan is fully potty trained.

Wish us luck on our new journeys.

5 comments:

Cara said...

I like your blog. That's a nice post that's a breath of fresh air from the normal 'mommy wars' posts that I see :) Thanks for sharing!

Cara

Sandra Williams said...

Congrats on your new job! I'm a SAHM and I can completely understand where you are coming from...both the staying home part and the going back to work part!!

Best of luck!
-Sandy

Beautiful Designs by Tian said...

I am so greatful for the positive feedback on this post. I really feel good about the decisions made as a family and the outcome. I hope to keep you all posted on new developments.

Kirsten said...

Congratulations on the dream job! I think it's great when the parents can be flexible and each experience the stay at home parent role, even if part time.

Taylor said...

It's always great to do what you love and get paid for it. Good for you!